** Socially distanced health and safety measures will be put in place, and because of this, spaces will be limited. **
The calving course is a one-day, small group, practical course aimed at farm staff who are new or feel inexperienced when calving either beef or dairy cows.
Students will learn:
- The normal calving process – how the cow prepares for calving, the signs and duration of calving.
- When to intervene – this is key to making sure we optimise cow health and recovery and the viability of the calf.
- How to intervene – minimising infection and potential damage to the cow/calf. How to recognise the presentation of the calf.
- When and how to assist – how to use calving ropes; safe use of a calving jack for the cow, calf and farmer. Know when to seek assistance.
- How to resuscitate a calf.
- Aftercare – pain relief, recognition of milk fever, cow nutrition, colostrum management and navel care.
(Please contact the office using the details shown to reserve your place.)