The calving course is a one-day small group, practical course aimed at farm staff who are new or feel inexperienced when calving cows. To date we have run the course for young farmers and college students. Most recently we have run the course with Adam, our Polish TB tester to offer the course in Polish.
Students will learn:
- The normal calving process – how the cow prepares for calving, the signs and duration of calving.
- When to intervene – this is key to making sure we optimise cow health and recovery and the viability of the calf.
- How to intervene – minimising infection and potential damage to the cow/calf. How to recognise the presentation of the calf.
- When and how to assist – how to use calving ropes; safe use of a calving jack for the cow, calf and farmer. Know when to seek assistance.
- How to resuscitate a calf.
- Aftercare – pain relief, recognition of milk fever, cow nutrition, colostrum management and navel care.